Terror in great britain: highest warning level

After the attack in Manchester, police assume that there was a support network around the perpetrator. The names of the dead are now known.

Commemoration of the victims of the attack in Manchester Photo: ap

People in Manchster are still in shock after Monday night’s terrorist attack that left 22 dead and dozens injured. Nevertheless, life goes on. Many people lay flowers, messages and candles in Albert Square in memory of the victims.

Manchester Police in Manchester said that all the names of the 22 dead were now known and contact had been made with all the families. However, it will still take a few days before they are published.

On Wednesday, authorities named more victims: Martyn Hett, 29, whose death was announced by his life partner on Twitter; Polish couple Marcin and Angelika Klis, ; the parents of a 20-year-old student who had been waiting for their daughter in the lobby after the concert. Kelly Brewster, 32, as well as Olivia Campbell, 15, whose mother reported her daughter missing Tuesday, John Atkinson, 26, Georgina Callander, 18, Saffie and eight-year-old Rose Roussos.

Nell Jones, 14, a Grade 9 student from Cheshire, Megan Hurley, also a student. Alison Howe, 45, and Lisa Lees, 47, of Oldham – both mothers who had been waiting for their children. Kelly Brewster, 32, from Sheffield, and Jane Tweddle-Taylor, who had gone to pick up her friend’s daughter and lost her life.

Apartment stormed

Early Wednesday afternoon, media reported a police raid on a block of flats in Manchester near Piccadilly station. A resident spoke of officers armed with machine guns storming a first-floor apartment there.

Three men had already been arrested in south Manchester earlier in the day. A 23-year-old man taken into police custody Tuesday was identified as the brother of attacker Salman Abedi.

Abedi was known to authorities. Home Secretary Amber Rudd said in a press statement that it is likely Abedi did not act alone. It is suspected that he acted only as a carrier and did not have the know-how to build a bomb himself. Meanwhile, police believe there was a support group surrounding the Manchester bomber. Manchester Police Chief Ian Hopkins said Wednesday.

Abedi is believed to have recently been not only in Libya, but also in Syria, according to the French interior minister. He may have had ties to IS. Others suspect that Abedi’s father sympathized with the Gadaffi-hostile LIFG (Libyan Islamic Fighting Group), which is close to al Qaeda.

Money raised

Some Libyans in the Manchester community had raised funds for the group six years ago. Since it is not known who else is behind the attack and whether more attacks are imminent, the highest terror alert level has been declared.

Up to 1000 additional troops have been mobilized in the UK. Another 3000 could still be available. They are to replace the police at central and sensitive locations, such as airports, train stations and nuclear power plants.

In all major cities, there are visibly more police officers on the streets – many of them armed. London Mayor Sadiq Khan said that the people of London should not be alarmed by this increased presence. The military was particularly visible in London’s government district.

Home Secretary Amber Rudd described the measures as temporary. The last time the army was deployed on London’s streets was to secure the London Olympics in 2012. For security reasons, the Royal Guards ("Changing of the Guards") were also temporarily suspended.

Most serious injuries

The total number of people treated in hospitals was put at 64 on Wednesday. Twenty of them suffered "life-threatening injuries," it said.

Chris Upton, the principal of Charlton Community Elementary School, where the deceased eight-year-old Saffie Roussous was a student, told the press that Saffie had been a particularly kind girl.

He said the school is now busy helping the children process the trauma with the help of experts. A moment of silence was held at the school and the pop classic "Don’t stop believing" was sung, she said.

Yvette Cooper, chairwoman of the parliamentary Home Affairs Committee, said she believed the security services were trying to determine how Abedi was radicalized and whether security arrangements had been adequate. That included questions about the flow of information on the Internet, she said.

Chelsea cancels celebration

One unanswered question is whether so-called Control Orders, which would restrict citizens’ liberties, should be applied. But both Cooper and Dominic Grieve, chairman of the parliamentary Security and Intelligence Committee, don’t think that’s necessary. Grieve said anti-terrorism laws are comprehensive enough.

Chelsea soccer club has canceled its weekend celebration because of the attack. Other soccer clubs, including Manchester United, plan to pay respect to the victims by wearing black armbands and observing minutes of silence.

Manchester United player YaYa Toure let it be known that he would provide 100,000 pounds for the victims. The Manchester Marathon is still scheduled to take place on Monday.

The election campaign in the UK has been suspended. The leader of the right-wing populist party Ukip will nevertheless continue his campaign on Thursday and announce his election platform.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *